NORTH SHORE HISTORY with David Verran
Lest we forget Local street names remembering World War One – Part Three
Kitchener Road - Takapuna. Off Hurstmere Road, it was named in November 1914 after Lord Kitchener, British Secretary of State for War.
Northcroft Street - Takapuna. Off Lake Road, it was formerly The Strand West until 1916. It was named after Lance Corporal Harry Cuthbert Northcroft who was killed at Gallipoli on 19 May 1915. He was born in 1889 and worked as a law clerk.
Pierce Road - Takapuna. Off Kitchener Road, it was formerly Marine Parade, and was renamed after Second Corporal Arthur Patrick Hector Pierce of Kitchener Road, Lake Takapuna, an architect who served with the Engineers and died of malaria in Palestine on 17 October 1918. He was born 27 July 1879.
Sanders Avenue - Takapuna. Off Lake Road, it was formerly Beach Avenue until 1919, and likely named after the Victoria Cross winner William Edward Sanders, who was killed on 14 August 1917. He was born in 1883 and there is a well-researched biography of him written by Grant Howard. The biography is called ‘Gunner Billy; Lieutenant-Commander W.E. Sanders, VC, DSO, RNR’ and was published in 2007.
All these streets were named by Takapuna Borough, originally formed in 1913, and that Council erected commemorative brass plaques at each of these roads.