NORTH SHORE HISTORY with David Verran
Lest we forget Local street names remembering World War One - Part Two
Forrest Hill Road - Milford. Off Wairau Road and formerly White's Hill, it was renamed in 1919 after Lieutenant Hugh Alexander Forrest of the New Zealand Rifles, who was killed in France on 12 October 1917. He was born in 1893, worked as a solicitor’s clerk, and his father William lived at 31 Old Lake Road in Devonport.
Frater Avenue - Milford. Off Milford Road, it was formerly Milford Avenue until around 1917, when it was renamed to commemorate Second Lieutenant Robert Andrew Frater of the Auckland Infantry Regiment who died of wounds at sea on 30 April 1915, having been evacuated from Gallipoli. He was born in 1891 and worked as a clerk.
Hart Road - Takapuna. Off Lake Road, it was formerly Hansen Road until renamed in 1919 after Second Lieutenant Athol Thomas Hart of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade, who was killed in France on 21 August 1918. He was born in 1891, worked as a law clerk, and his father was E.T. Hart, a teacher, of Clifton Road, Takapuna.
Jutland Road - Takapuna. Off Lake Road, it was formerly Lake Town Road, briefly renamed Jellicoe Road in 1919, and then became Jutland Road later that same year, no doubt named after the largest naval battle in World War One. Admiral Jellicoe became commander-in-chief of the Grand Fleet at the outbreak of the War.
Jutland Street - Mairangi Bay. Jutland Street was named in the 1920s.
- David Verran