Hobsonville Point: Farmers Market
Fresh Pita Breads with Pickled Cabbage and Coriander By Chef Kevin Blakeman
The freshness of the vegetables is the key with this recipe, and the beauty is that you can add as much chilli sauce as you like to dress the leaves. This dish has sweetness, sourness, and lots of spice!
¼ head red cabbage
100ml Earthbound Honeygar
25g brown sugar
4 Pita breads of your choice
2 skinless chicken breasts
1 red onion, sliced
1 yellow capsicum, deseeded and sliced
50ml Rockhaven Estate Cumin Olive oil
½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
50g fresh coriander, chopped
50g Some Like It Hot Chilli Sauce
200g natural yoghurt
2 cloves garlic, minced and heated in a splash of water in the microwave for 30 secs (remember to drain)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Firstly shred the red cabbage and mix in the Honeygar and brown sugar. Set aside. You can even do this the day before.
- Slice the chicken into strips and fry in a little cooking oil until caramelised. Add the sliced red onion and capsicum, sauté for another minute then switch the stove off. Add the cumin oil.
- Open and toast your four pita breads and at the same time in a bowl mix iceberg lettuce, the red cabbage, chilli sauce and coriander.
- Stuff the pitas with this mixture then add the chicken mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the minced garlic and yoghurt and dress liberally.
If you like this recipe, you can follow Kevin at www.chefkevinblakeman.com or www.facebook.com/chefkevinblakeman