Five Favourites On The Shore: Carly Flynn
Newsreading to Nappies
Carly’s off-screen life on the Shore
Television personality Carly Flynn has become a familiar face across New Zealand through her various onscreen roles. She has hosted news shows at opposite ends of the day - Nightline and Sunrise - as well as NZ News Week and TV3’s consumer affairs show, Target. Carly’s career began in print journalism, with her then making the move to radio before forging a successful career in TV.
This North Shore resident has currently swapped news scripts for nappy sacks as she devotes her time to raising her children, aged one and three, in this beautiful place she is pleased to call home.
Carly kindly took time away from the baby wipes, ahead of this issue, to give Channel readers an insight into what she feels are some of this amazing area’s special treasures.
- Birkenhead: A sunny, quiet spot with lots of decent cafes and good gift shopping. I love the ‘small town-ness’ feel of the place and the gorgeous villas & gardens. It’s a great destination for a morning walk or coffee and the locals are super friendly.
- State Beach Series: Every Tuesday night in Summer at Takapuna Beach, we love taking the kids for a picnic and joining the masses. My husband Dave swims the 1.5km course while we cheer them on and enjoy a picnic tea. I'd like to get the kids involved in the junior races as soon as they can and eventually give the run a go myself!
- The Department Store: It's a cliché, but they really do do the best coffee, and it's an inspirational place to visit. I like just to drop in to have a peruse and can generally find something for anyone I'm needing to buy for.
- Onepoto Domain: The best playground on the Shore! Just needs a coffee shop/cart nearby. We love it there and it grows with the family, from baby swings to the bike track.
- Northcote Tavern: Another great destination with lots of room for the kids to run around and allow the parents to enjoy a tipple. Great food and prices too!