5 Favourites on the Shore: Steve Buckley
Strength & Conditioning Specialist / Personal Trainer
Steve is most commonly known for his work with the SKYCITY New Zealand Breakers who won the Australian National Basketball League three times in a row. He also works as a Strength & Conditioning Specialist for High Performance Sport New Zealand; having worked with a range of different athletes including ITF Taekwon-Do world champion Carl van Roon.
Steve competes both nationally and internationally in the Decathlon and is currently training for the next Commonwealth Games in 2014. In 2011 Steve coached Olympic decathlete Brent Newdick to the qualifying standard for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
Channel caught up with Steve to have a chat about his five favourite things about living and working on the North Shore.
- Living in Milford: I love living close to the bars and restaurants in Takapuna. It’s fantastic on a sunny summer’s day. I also work at the Millennium Institute of Sport and Health so it’s great to live close by and not get stuck in traffic every day. Plus it’s only ten minutes to the city centre from my house in Milford.
- Awesome training spots: I love working out and there are some amazing places to train on the North Shore. The Browns Bay stairs, Castor Bay stairs and Okura Trail are my top picks.
- Millennium Institute of Sport - High performance Sport NZ training facility: It’s a great training environment with lots of athletes from many different sports. I really enjoy working with elite athletes.
- Home of NZ Breakers: They are the three time NBL champs. It’s been an amazing experience to work with the Breakers and it’s fantastic to have their home so close to mine. The home of the NZ Breakers is a great asset to the North Shore.
- North Shore Beaches: We have some awesome beaches here on the North Shore. Takapuna is my favourite, closely followed by Mairangi Bay.